Lawrence L. Hoptry was born in Ironton, Ohio and is the only child of Harold and Opal Hoptry, both deceased. After living in Chillicothe and Springfield, his family moved to South Charleston, WV. During his senior year of high school at South Charleston High, he accepted Christ as his Savior and was baptized at the Bethel Baptist Church by Rev. Elizabeth Caudill. In May 1955, he accepted the call to the ministry and was licensed by the home church.
His wife, Karen, who passed away in 2013, was thoroughly committed to Christ. They met in college and were married for 52 years. Hoppy continues to reside in Hurricane, WV. Their children are: Cathy Hadesty, Chris Humphrey and Jon Hoptry. Their grandchildren are: Madelaine, Emma and Jerek. At the present there is one great grandson, Henry Hoptry.
Hoppy graduated from Alderson Broaddus College (now University) in 1963 with a Bachelor of Science degree, majoring in Sociology and minoring in English literature. In college, he served on the Student Senate and as president of the Senior Class. He was graduated from Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1964 with a Bachelor of Divinity degree. Sensing a need for specialized training, he returned to Eastern in 1998 and was graduated in 2000 with a Doctor of Ministry degree in Renewal of the church.
While in college, he worked as a volunteer with a poverty stricken area near the school. In seminary, he served as youth pastor of the Gladwyne United Methodist Church in Gladwyne, Pa and the Central Presbyterian Church in Norristown, Pa. Following graduation from Eastern, he has served as pastor of the Kingwood Baptist Church from 1964 to 1981 and the First Baptist Church of Nitro from 1981 to 2009. He began as interim Associate Pastor at Mount Vernon Baptist Church in 2010 and continues in that position to the present.
He has a great love of carpentry but finds interest in almost anything that challenges the mind, except politics. He is very active in the Live Embers, Senior Ministries
- WV Representative to the Board of National Ministries of the American Baptist Convention, USA.
West Virginia State Level:
- Served as President of the West Virginia Baptist Convention
- Chair of the Committee on Ministerial Standing
- Chair of the Church Leadership Commission
- Secretary to the Convention and Executive Board
- Representative to the Council of Churches
- Executive Director of the West Virginia Baptist Educational Society
Teays Valley Association Level:
- Served as moderator and Clerk of the Association
- Chair of the Teays Valley Baptist Association Minister’s group